Thursday, July 31, 2008

Fred Bowyer: Truly a Blessing

I want to thank everyone at RYHT for this wonderful opportunity. I am a much better leader today than I was prior to attending this institute. The speakers were all outstanding and provided practical knowledge that could be taken back to the school and used immediately.

I must say that I was very impressed with the urban leaders that attended from Texas. They were all very knowledgeable and committed to their schools and students. I am sure they found the information just as valuable as I did. What did I learn? I learned that being an urban leader in Texas is not much different than being in New York or Chicago. Our students have the same issues, and our teachers require the same type of leaders.

As Jerry Murphy told us, leadership is often unheroic and we don’t always have the answers. It is our ability to develop a shared vision with our staff by asking questions and listening that will put our schools on the path to success. “A leader’s vision is the grain of sand in the oyster, not the pearl.” Keep your ears open for news of Condit Elementary; I think we are going to be doing some great things. Thank you again for the wonderful opportunity, it was truly a blessing.

Fred Bowyer

No comments: