Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Yolanda Larkin: A Student Again

What a magnificent learning experience I am having at the Harvard Art of Leadership Conference! I want to say "Thank You" to the Raise Your Hand, Texas organization for giving me the opportunity to come to Harvard and participate in such an enlightening event.

I have learned many things during the past three days, but the following quote from Ronald Barth really made an impact, "We learn from our experience, if we reflect on our experience". The presenters have provided me with plenty of interesting constructs to reflect on in the days ahead, and I hope to organize all their pearls of wisdom into meaningful practices for my students, my teachers, and myself. I have rediscovered that "thinking" is hard work, but that all the effort it requires is well worth it. Slipping back into the role of student has been a most enjoyable experience and I am looking forward the days ahead.

Another great part of this experience has been the opportunity to meet and discuss educational issues with professionals from all over the U.S. and even from foreign countries, such as Egypt, Australia and India. It is fascinating to learn about educational processes happening in other corners of the world and compare their practices to those of the United States.

Yolanda Larkin

No comments: