Monday, July 14, 2008

James Oliver: I'm adding room in my toolbelt!

Wow, what an experience! From the time I got to the airport in Austin on Wednesday, I've been in constant communication with some excellent Texas educators as well as others from around this country and beyond. It's amazing how we can all have a common goal, but address it so many different ways. When you talk to those educating kids around the world you really start to see a bigger picture. Some of their school systems have entirely different configurations, and their personnel take on some extremely diverse roles. After much discussion, I can honestly say that I think Texas is ahead of the game in many respects.

I've had several people come to talk to me because they want to know what Texas is doing. That's a great feeling! However that being said, I still see many things that I'm going to take back and implement in my district. Today, we discussed interim assessment and a light bulb came on. I immediately new that thoroughly discussing test results with our students was an area that our district needed to address. I've already got a stack of reminders to digest and implement when I get home. Thanks RYHT for a great opportunity.

James Oliver

No comments: