Thursday, July 3, 2008

Terri Chidgey: Intellectual Opportunity

My time here at Harvard has been one of the most enriching educational experiences I have ever participated in. The speakers have been extraordinary. Today, we heard from Jeff Howard who presented his work on efficacy. His process of assessment, reviewing the data, formulating feedback about the patterns in what students did well and where they need improvement, and then developing strategies to address the feedback caused me to examine our process. Part of his presentation focused on the importance of children having confidence that they can learn combined with effective effort resulting in student development. As educators it is our job to build their confidence level. He was inspiring!

A bonus to this intellectual opportunity has been meeting the brilliant participants attending the principals' center with me. Hearing about the unique and different school settings we have across our nation and abroad has been fascinating.

I am eternally grateful to Raise Your Hand Texas for providing me with this rich opportunity. The accommodations have been wonderful!

Terri Chidgey

No comments: