Sunday, July 6, 2008

Barbara Ponder: Amazing Memories

Here is another update from Harvard along with a picture. As we were sight-seeing on the 4th of July, we ran across "Ben Franklin" the Boston Marketplace. Pictured from left to right are: Bob Atteberry (Humble ISD), Barbara Ponder (Barbers Hill ISD), Kathy Robinson (Midland ISD), Beth Dow (Lamar Consolidated ISD).

The Leadership Conference is wonderful.......I can't imagine a better Professional Development opportunity. So far, we have heard a total of 10 lecturers who have spoken on a variety of topics (school culture, student learning, curriculum integration, teacher leadership, communicating to improve performance.....and more). There are so many great discussions, ideas and opportunities to develop new leadership tools. Needless to say, my brain is swimming with information. I have filled half of a spiral notebook with lecture notes and journal reflections. It will be interesting to categorize and sort through everything when I return home. Several of the RYHT participants are already working together to create outlines for presentations back at our home districts. I have become friends with so many campus leaders from Texas as well as across the country. In visiting with administrators from other states, it is clear that we are doing a lot of things right in Texas as we address the importance of using data to make instructional decisions, address the issues of accountability, and look for ways to promote Professional Learning Communities on our campuses. Once again, my thanks to the members of RYHT for providing me with such an incredible opportunity to grow as a campus leader.

On another note......I have always thought that I would be hard-pressed to find a place that could "out-do" Texas on ANYTHING.....however, attending the 4th of July Festivities on the Esplanade at Boston Commons has definitely dispelled that belief. Spending our national holiday in this historical city......the birthplace of freedom, was phenomenal! We had a wonderful time as we joined the 500,000 revelers listening to the Boston Pops play patriotic songs (no one plays the "Stars and Stripes Forever" better), and listening to one of my favorite groups.....Rascal Flatts!!! To top off the evening, we watched an amazing fireworks display over the Charles River. The river was filled with boats watching the display......it was a sight to behold. I don't know if I will ever have the opportunity to be here again on the 4th of July, but I definitely have some amazing memories that I will cherish forever.

Barbara Ponder

No comments: