Friday, August 1, 2008

James Oliver: The Harvard Experience

It’s hard to believe that it’s already been two weeks since “The Harvard Experience”. Over the past 13 years in education I have had some great staff development, but nothing compares to the 10 days I spent at Harvard. I am so thankful that a vocal group of inspired Texans (RYHT) has chosen to actively support educators in this State. In a time of uncertainty, you have let teachers, administrators, and all others associated with our schools know that you care about educating children in Texas. For me, the Harvard leadership training could not have come at a better time.

Sometimes we all need to slow down and reassess what we’re doing. The creativity that often eludes us in the hustle and bustle of modern-day life was allowed to take hold in a classroom many miles from home. I came back with new ideas and plans that are already taking shape. Our high school master schedule has a totally different feel. Using a new set of priorities and perspectives, our 08-09 schedule will allow more time to meet individual student and teacher needs. I have already started swapping other ideas with my teachers. It’s amazing how excitement is contagious. I see a great year ahead of us!

On a side note, thanks to everyone in Group 6 and 7 for your continued communication and support. I never thought I would be getting so many words of encouragement from Texas principals, not to mention those serving in other states and countries. Just yesterday I got an e-mail from a fellow educator in New Zealand. Thanks again RYHT for allowing me to network on a whole new level.

James Oliver

No comments: